Please call us on +44 (0) 1342 714793 if you would prefer to order over the phone
- Hand-thrown Cretan terracotta garden pot
- Frost Resistant
- Generous planting room
- Authentic Cretan finish
- Lid for protection of rhubarb crowns in winter
Put this beautiful pot and lid over your rhubarb crowns in late winter and enjoy sweet, pink stalks in early spring. It will age beautifully, develop a patina. It can also double as a decorative pot for the majority of the year when it’s not forcing your rhubarb.
Size Aprox. (Height x Width - at widest point):
- 50 x 40cm - 19.6 x 15.7 inch
- How to care for your Cretan terracotta
Our Cretan hand-thrown terracotta is made with the highest quality prepared clay and crushed olive stones and grape seeds are still used as fuel for the kilns. The pots are fired up to 1150°c which is the highest temperature that terracotta can be fired to and as a result the pots are strong, very frost resistant and will last for years if you treat them correctly.
WHY PLANTS LIKE TERRACOTTA: Plants grow well in terracotta. Roots need air as well as moisture and can breathe through the porous wall of the clay pot. The evaporation of water from the outside of the pot in hot weather keeps the root ball inside relatively cool. In the winter the terracotta gives more insulation than any other material.
DRAINAGE: Drainage holes are vital if a pot is going outside and/or you are planting it. Unless specifically asked, we always drill holes in the base of every pot before it leaves here. Every so often check that the holes have not become clogged up, otherwise water could be retained within the pot, leading to root-rot, or the risk of damage to the pot during freezing conditions. Although not always necessary, if you wish, you can raise your terracotta pot very slightly off the ground to assist drainage. Flat stones, tiles or our terracotta feet are ideal.
PLANTING: If you are using the pot for planting, put a good layer of gravel and broken crocks at the bottom. This prevents the holes from getting clogged up and aids good drainage. Top up with a suitable compost/soil blend depending on the plants.
If the pot is enclosed (has a narrow neck with a “belly”, e.g. a Beehive or Minoan) we advise that you avoid permanent planting or have a removable plastic planted pot within the terracotta pot. Otherwise the roots will grow into the ‘belly’ of the pot making the plant extremely difficult to remove.
SITING: Never stand your pot on bare earth. Being porous, the bottom few inches will soak up the moisture, frost playing on permanently wet terracotta may not be in the best long-term interests of the pot. Instead sit it on a paving slab, pebbles, gravel, bricks or concrete.
DURING THE WINTER: If prolonged freezing conditions are forecast we recommend wrapping your pots in bubble plastic; this should prevent the earth from freezing solid (and avoid the risk of splitting the pot) and at the same time protect any plants growing in them; a frozen pot will of course kill off a plant far easier that if it were growing in the ground.
WATER FEATURES: Refer to our care instructions.
Should you require any further information, please don’t hesitate to contact us
- Delivery Charges
Delivery charges vary depending on the type of products ordered and the delivery address.
Standard (UK) delivery
Delivery rates are determined by weight and distance. Delivery cost for goods start from £4.99.
If a standard delivery is not available, please call for a quotation. Due to the unique nature of our products we often need to contact our customer directly about the possible delivery options available.
Standard delivery items will be dispatched directly from our warehouse and be with you within 10 working days. You will be notified of the date and will be able to rearrange if necessary.
Please note that all items will require a signature. For terracotta pot orders a large vehicle may be used so please note your delivery instructions or contact us at email@example.com. For re-delivery of pallets there will be an additional cost.
We can arrange delivery door-to-door anywhere in the world. Please call or email for a quotation.
- In the rare event that an item arrives faulty or damaged please contact us within 24hrs of receipt and we will arrange a replacement.
- If for any other reason you are unhappy with any item, please return the item(s) along with a completed returns form within 14 days of receiving the goods. Providing the item(s) are still in a completely saleable condition and in their original packaging, we will issue a full refund.
- Refunds will be issued to the card which was used to place the order once we have received the item(s) back in our warehouse.
- Please note that we will not refund the initial delivery charges except if the item(s) are being returned due to damage or a fault.
- The cost of returning goods is your responsibility and the item(s) are your responsibility until they arrive at the warehouse. We therefore recommend using a recorded delivery service for returns.
Please return all goods to : Pots and Pithoi, The Barns, East Street, West Sussex, RH10 4QA.
- What is a Verified Purchase?It means that the customer who wrote the review has also purchased this item.
You may find this information useful in helping you decide whcih reviews are most helpful in making your purchasing decisions.
If a review is not marked as a Verified Purchase it does not mean that the reviewer has no experience of this item as they may have one which they have acquired from elsewhere.View: 1-0 of 0 in total | Page | Show 10
Pot Feet New
- Matching terracotta colour
- Frost Resistant
- Ht/W. 4x6cm
The perfect way to elevate your terracotta pot on any hard surface. All of our pot feet are made by our potters and complement any of our pots perfectly.